Here are some useful guidelines for parents willing to bring their children up as inquiring, intelligent and successful people.
The public organization “Center of Research for Children and Youth Literature” initiated the socio-cultural project «All Ukraine Reads to Children». Uliana Baran, the President of the Center, insists that, at least 20 minutes a day, moms and dads should dedicate, for their little creatures, a moment to read them something good, and she gives several important guidelines.
Читай українською: ЩОБ ДИТИНА ПОЛЮБИЛА КНИЖКУ: 9 ПОРАД БАТЬКАМ
Recommendations «for the process of growing»:
- As soon as your children start talking, you can teach them to read. They will willingly repeat everything after their trusted person (parents, educators in kindergarten, etc.).
As soon as children learn their ABC’s, they should read further only at their own will, not under compulsion. If a child doesn’t like reading but is willing to listen to fairy tales or stories, read them out to a child.
- One should read to children even when they are in middle school. Read even when they can read for themselves very well.
- Children must not be compelled to read, if they don’t want to.
- Adults should be obliged to read to children every day. In the context of school education, it is proposed that the teacher, for at least twenty minutes of class, introduce reading outloud to the children by using texts, passages, or poems.
- Comprehending the message of the books, and discussing the main ideas and facts from the writers’ lives are much more important and easier to remember than the routine memorization of basic biographical descriptions and content of the books.
- 7.Adults should help children by communicating with them, particularly through literature, to get them prepared for their future adult lives. Teachers should not avoid talking about modern fiction or not discuss «inconvenient» topics.
- The adult generation has no right to judge the younger generation for reading «the wrong things»or «in the wrong way» (most of Uliana Baran’s students read a book per week uploading them into their e-books).
- Besides, one should have a liberal approach towards comprehending the process of reading, which has not been «a fashion», but «a normality» for a modern cultured person. Since reading as a notion is really very ample and manifold; it is not limited to reading letters on a page.
Every child needs a warm, attentive attitude, good stories and bright happy endings. Considering the complicated political and social situation in Ukraine, according to Uliana Baran, parents should give their children comfort and faith in the peace and goodness which are surely to come in the end.